DISCLAIMER: Okay I want to say this now and get it over with. I got the story structure for this story from a book called Magic’s Pawn by Mercedes Lackey. She is my goddess author and I love her to death. While I was reading it one night, I got the idea for a prequel to the game and decided to write it because I wanted to give props to my fav author. There were 4 specific scenes that I needed from the book to make this story work.

The scenes are:

1. Savil teaching Tylendel about shielding and their conversation before he leaves.

2. Vanyel overhearing about Tylendel (if you read it you know what I’m talking about).

3. Vanyel seeing Tylendel read a book through the window.

4. Tylendel comforting Vanyel after his nightmare.

I’m really REALLY nervous about posting this because I don’t want flames about me ‘stealing’ Misty’s work. It’s hers, not mine! NEVER MINE! I just own the books and read them over and over cause I love them so much. I’m only doing this because they gave me an idea. All of the aforementioned scenes are hers that I have changed to fit the FF8 world, the rest is my own crappy writing ^_^ I hope you enjoy it all the same because it’s a fic, and I don’t get paid for this anyway. ^_~

Uncertain Memory: With You

Part Five - A month or so later, May 1998

By Elise Maxwell

“You’re leaving today?” Squall asked as he sat at Seifer’s desk. The place was spotless. It was one of Seifer’s quirks—he was a neat freak. Seifer didn’t mind if Squall touched anything, but he wasn’t the type to snoop and look at things anyway. He was glad that Seifer trusted him though. It had been over a month—he had better trust him.

“Yeah,” Seifer replied and tossed some clothes from his dresser onto his bed. “Quistis came by and told me that we were leaving for Timber this evening.”

“You think you’ll find someone there to be friends with?” Squall asked, absently playing with a pen on Seifer’s desk.

“You’re full of questions today. How is it you stay so silent in the halls but can’t contain any of your thoughts in here?” The blonde grinned at the blush that painted Squall’s cheeks.

“I dunno. Maybe I feel better when someone’s there to answer my questions.” He set the pen down where it had been and turned. “You don’t like it when I speak my mind?”

“I’m just not used to it yet.” Seifer rolled up a set of clothes and stuffed them in a pack. “Give me a little time.” He walked over and kissed the brunette’s forehead. “I’m just glad I’m the one who gets to answer the questions.”

Squall smiled. “Even if they are stupid huh?”

“Yeah, well, you are Mr. Obvious.”

The brunette snorted. “They say there aren’t stupid questions, though I beg to differ.”

“There aren’t, just stupid people—and you aren’t one of them.”Seifer leaned down and kissed the brunette on the lips softly. “I, uh—I got this repaired for you.” He pulled a chain out of his pocket and held it out to Squall.

The younger boy stared at it. “My Griever chain.”

“That it is.” Seifer winked and Squall rolled his eyes.

“Why do you have it? I threw it away.”

“You threw it on the ground.” The blonde reached over and put the chain around his rival’s neck again. “But this is where it belongs.” He smiled.

“Thanks.” Squall mirrored him.

“Oh, I did something else.” Seifer pulled him up and dragged him over to the adjoining room and gunblade case. The Griever symbol had been put on the case by Squall, but Seifer opened it to show Squall what he’d done.

The boy stared in shock. “Oh, Hyne.” Squall reached toward the blade. It now bore an engraved image of Griever on it, and a small Griever pendant hung from the end of the hilt. “It’s perfect.” He picked up the gunblade and turned it in his hands to see it shine.

“I thought you’d like that.”

“I don’t like it, I love it!” The brunette turned Seifer. “But, why?”

Seifer shrugged. “I wanted to.” A small blush washed over his cheeks much to Squall’s amusement. “And I wanted to see your smile when you saw it.”

“I knew there was a reason I loved you.”

“Why?”

“You’re cute when you blush.”

The blonde narrowed his eyes. “Seifer Almasy is not cute!” He huffed and sat on the bed in Squall’s room.

Squall returned the blade to its case. “How can I repay you?”

“Don’t call me cute.” Seifer pouted.

“Hot?” The brunette sat in his lap

“Getting warmer.”

“Sexy?” Squall nibbled on his earlobe.

“I’m sure there’s something you could do.” A smirk took over Seifer’s face.

“I’ll do anything.”

“Oh? Anything?” The blonde asked mischievously.

“Seifer is soooo hot!”

“Are you sure he’s gay?”

“Nobody’s sure.”

“I hope to Hyne he’s not.”

“Me too!”

The girls giggled.

“Well then why don’t he and Quistis go out?”

“They might just be really good friends.

“Or maybe brother and sister.”

“They do look really similar.”

“Maybe she’s a lesbian.”

“Now there’s an idea.”

“She can’t be.”

“How do you know?”

“I heard that she’s got this thing for—”

“Squall!” The librarian cut her friend off and smiled at the brunette. All the girls around her went silent.

Squall nodded a hello to them and they got those goofy grins on their faces. He could tell—he was another on their list of ideal boyfriends, just like Seifer. On this list, he was the knight in shining armor, not the bad boy persona that Seifer embodied.

“Is Zell with you?” The librarian asked him and stood, probably ready to run to the front desk.

He smiled. “No, but we were going to study together so he should be along any minute.”

Squall leaned down closer to her and whispered, “Better get to the desk to say hi.”

She grinned. “Thanks.” She hurried off the desk and he passed the girls with a wave goodbye. He could have sworn they all sighed simultaneously, but it could have been the air conditioning.

Squall sat down at one of the tables in the corner to avoid people and wait for the spunky blonde boy.

“Life is great.”

Squall looked up from a random book he’d pulled from the shelf to see Zell set several books on the table and plop down in the seat across from him.

“Why is that?” Squall asked putting the book back and turning his attention to the blonde.

“Seifer’s gone on a training session. There is a Hyne.” He smiled at the ceiling. “Thank you Hyne.”

Squall rolled his eyes. Seifer had been gone for a week and was due back after another, but he already missed the blonde—especially at night. Once he’d gotten used to sleeping with another person it felt awkward to sleep alone.

“He’s not so bad.” Squall gave a the surprised Zell a blank look, while inside he was laughing at the look on the blonde’s face.

“You’re kidding right? The guy teases us daily and you think ‘he’s not so bad?’ You’re getting soft dude.” Zell shook his head and handed the brunette a book. “I hate that guy. How can you not hate him?”

“Hate is a strong word.” Squall paged through the textbook and set it on the table in front of him. “I respect him.”

“Okay, so I don’t hate him, but I don’t like him either.” The blonde opened another of the books. “Just rubs me the wrong way.”

A smirk crawled its way across Squall’s face. Rubs me the right way. He bit his lip to keep from snickering. He glanced up to see Zell roll his eyes.

“You’re so weird. I don’t know why I hang out with you.”

“Nobody can take a joke nowadays,” Squall murmured and shrugged—even if it was true.

Return to Archive | next | previous