You Don't Know

Chapter 6

By Purple Penguin

“Well you look happy.”

The cowboy laughed.

“Are you glad to be back? Did you miss us?”

“Of course I missed you Seffie.” He patted her on the head and steered her in the right direction of the cafeteria.

“But you missed Squall more, right?”

He smiled. “Maybe.” They entered the cafeteria and Irvine instantly spotted Zell sitting on his own. “Hey Zell!”

His friend didn’t flinch. Selphie touched his arm. “Don’t. He’s upset.”

“About what?”

“I don’t know he won’t talk to anyone.”

“I would have thought he’d be happy. Squall told me he saw Zell and Seifer making out yesterday, they were outside though which Squall thought was odd but we are talking about Seifer here.”

The petite girl folded his arms. “If Seifer’s to blame for this I’ll...” She balled her hands into fists.

“I’ll go talk to him, you coming?”

Selphie nodded and followed. They both dropped into chairs on either side of the blonde.

“Hey guys.” Zell gave them confused looks. “What you doing here?”

“Hey Zell you know they’ve got hotdogs left do you want one?”

He shook his head. “I’m not hungry.”

Selphie looked at Irvine. “Wow, it must be serious.”

The cowboy lay a hand on Zell’s shoulder. “You okay? You look a little upset.”

“It’s nothing.”

The other two looked unconvinced. “Really I’m fine.”

“Zell we’re you’re friends, you can tell us and we can help.”

“You can’t help.”

“You got guy trouble?”

“No.” He answered a little too quickly.

“Did Seifer do this to you?”

“Look it’s not his fault; it’s mine so don’t worry about it okay?”

Selphie stood and looked over at Irvine. She mouthed the word ‘kill’.

I stepped out of the shower, towelling myself dry. I had to find Zell. Last night in the training centre was a disaster; I don’t know how I managed to upset him more. I want him to forgive me; I want to be friends. When we were both harassing Squall we got on well, we make a good team. I want that back; I like hanging out with him. A year ago I never would have admit to that. The cute little chicken. I only ever called him that in front of Fujin. I lied to Zell, she does know that I’m gay and about my thing for Squall. I don’t hate the chicken, I don’t know how I feel about him but I’m only going to work that out when he stops avoiding me. I groaned as I pulled on my pants. I never was good at saying I’m sorry. I looked up when someone knocked on the door; well hammered on the door would be closer to the truth.

“SEIFER!!”

I frowned at Selphie’s voice. What did she want? I grabbed my T-shirt pulled it over my head quickly then I pulled open the door.

Selphie barged into my dorm followed by Irvine and Quistis.

“What the hell do you lot want?” I snapped. I shut the door behind them, not wanting anyone else to hear this.

Selphie walked up and poked me in the chest. “What did you do? Zell’s all depressed and you were the last one seen with him.”

I looked down at the floor. “Oh, that.”

She frowned. “Yes that, what did you do to him?”

“Look I didn’t mean it okay? I’m not a villain here.” I’ve never seen Selphie look anything but happy, carefree and bouncy this was quite scary.

“You know what? This is none of your business.”

Irvine spoke up for the first time. “Zell is our friend and if he’s upset because of you then that makes it our business.”

I narrowed my eyes at the cowboy until a hand waved in front of my face to get my attention.

“What happened yesterday?”

“Did you ask Zell?”

“Yes but he was too upset to tell us, he defended you so it must be your fault.”

“Well if he didn’t tell you then he obviously doesn’t want you to know so I’m not going to tell you.”

She stomped her foot like I child and opened her mouth to speak but she shut it again. I started to think I had won when Quistis spoke up.

“You should treat Zell better; I was surprised he agreed to go out with you in the first place.”

Now that shocked me. They thought Zell and I were an item? Where had that come from?

“It’s not fair, Zell really loves you, you only have to look at him to see it.”

I stared at her in confusion. Zell loved me? No, they had to be wrong about that it was insane, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense.

“He... loves me?”

Selphie sighed. “You haven’t noticed? How could you not? Don’t you ever look at him when you’re with him?”

“I.... um...”

“You have to find him and-”

“I was going to before you lot came in here. Don’t worry, I’ll make it up to him.”

Selphie nodded satisfied with my answer and finally they all left. I don’t know why I didn’t tell them that me and Zell weren’t a couple, I guess I just forgot.

I collected up my books and notes and put them in a rucksack. I had accidentally volunteered to help two girls with an assignment. I wasn’t really listening when they asked me I just agreed so that they would go away. At least it would stop me from thinking about Seifer for at least five seconds. I opened my door, putting on the rucksack and stepped out. Something crunched under my foot. I looked down at the bunch of white roses that lay on my doorstep. I picked them up and searched for a tag, there was a piece of paper wrapped around the stems but the water had seeped in and the ink was so blurred I couldn’t read it.

I hoped they were from Seifer but I suspected my annoying friends were trying to cheer me up. Selphie told me they went to talk to Seifer, I almost throttled her. I didn’t want anyone else getting into this; they couldn’t only make it worse.

I walked back inside rummaging for something to put the roses in. I found a jug and stuffed them in that. I made a mental note to ask Selphie if the flowers were her idea.

This time I stepped out the door I walked straight into a hard chest.

“Sorry.” The other guy stepped back and I found myself looked into the deep green eyes of Seifer.

“Hi.” He smiled.

“Er- hi.” I tried to smile but it didn’t come out right.

“Look.” He push me back slowly into my dorm. “I wanted to say I’m sorry I didn’t mean to hurt you.” He glanced up at me for the first time. “Did you get the roses?”

“T-they were from you?”

“Yeah why? Has someone else upset you recently?”

“Er-no.” I smiled slight but tried to hide it, I wanted to stay angry for a while longer.

He smiled. “Look I wondered can we...are we...can we be... friends?”

I stared for a moment. He wanted to be friends with me? After all the hassle?

I grinned, holding back the urge to hug him. “Sure.”

He held out his hand and we shook on it. I could have sworn I was supposed to be doing something.

“What’s the rucksack for? You going somewhere?”

“Oh Hyne!” I ran out of the door and locked it behind me. “I have to meet these girls in the library.”

“A date thing?”

I laughed. “No, a work thing.” I turned to run down the hall. It took me a moment to realize I wasn’t moving. I turned and saw Seifer holding on to my rucksack. “Meet me in the training centre when you’re done, yeah?”

“Okay.” He let go and I ran off, hoping the girls would forgive me.

Return to Archive | next | previous