DISCLAIMER: Okay I want to say this now and get it over with. I got the story structure for this story from a book called Magic’s Pawn by Mercedes Lackey. She is my goddess author and I love her to death. While I was reading it one night, I got the idea for a prequel to the game and decided to write it because I wanted to give props to my fav author. There were 4 specific scenes that I needed from the book to make this story work.

The scenes are:

1. Savil teaching Tylendel about shielding and their conversation before he leaves.

2. Vanyel overhearing about Tylendel (if you read it you know what I’m talking about).

3. Vanyel seeing Tylendel read a book through the window.

4. Tylendel comforting Vanyel after his nightmare.

I’m really REALLY nervous about posting this because I don’t want flames about me ‘stealing’ Misty’s work. It’s hers, not mine! NEVER MINE! I just own the books and read them over and over cause I love them so much. I’m only doing this because they gave me an idea. All of the aforementioned scenes are hers that I have changed to fit the FF8 world, the rest is my own crappy writing ^_^ I hope you enjoy it all the same because it’s a fic, and I don’t get paid for this anyway. ^_~

Uncertain Memory: With You

Part Nine - Later that afternoon… (of the exam)

By Elise Maxwell

Quistis stood next to the door of her classroom and watched everyone walk in. She greeted some with words or a silent nod. She smirked at Seifer as he strode through the door. A couple minutes later a rumpled Squall jogged up to the door. Quistis bit her lip to keep from laughing.

“Shut up.” Squall glared at her and walked in.

Quistis giggled to herself. “So predictable.” She cleared her throat and walked through the door. “Good morning, class.” She noticed the two boys sitting apart in the very last row of seats. Yes very predictable. “Let's start with today's schedule.” She walked to her desk and sat.

“There seem to have been some rumors flying around about yesterday...” Quistis gave the students a stern look. “Yes, the field exam for SeeD candidates will begin later this afternoon.” A few of the girls chattered excitedly as she went on. “Those not participating and those who failed last week's written test are to remain here in study hall.”

She paused waiting for the chattering to stop. “Field exam participants will have free time until the exam. Just be sure you're in top condition.” Taking a moment to let it sink in for them, she glanced around the room at the eager students. “Meet in hall at 1600 hours. I'll announce the team assignments there.” She looked around the classroom again. “Any questions?”

Quistis wracked her brain trying to remember what she was going to say. “Oh, and Seifer!” She contained the urge to grin. “Do NOT injure your partner while training. Be careful from now on.”

Seifer looked over at Squall, who seemed to be sulking, then back at her. He slammed his fist on the desktop with a mischievous glimmer in his jade eyes.

Quistis kept herself from laughing and continued. “Field exam participants, I will see you all later.” The students began to file out and before the brunette boy could leave she added, “And Squall, I need to talk to you.”

Seifer smiled down at the brunette before he turned and walked out of the classroom. Squall had to admit; the fist was a nice touch. With a sigh, Squall finally stood and went to the front of the classroom to talk with Quistis.

“You haven't been to the Fire Cavern yet, have you?” she asked as he approached and shook his head. “You won't be able to take part in today's SeeD exam if you don't pass the prerequisite.”

Squall crossed his arms and a frown took over his face. …I was gonna go this morning but Seifer—he had to plan a grand fight for your birthday…

“Hm? Do you have a good excuse?” Quistis crossed her arms.

“…Not really.” Squall shrugged, knowing she’d take him to the Fire Cave anyway.

“Then lets get going.” She nodded at him. “I’ll be waiting at the front gate, so come down when you’re ready.”

Squall rolled his eyes as she strolled out the door with a smirk. Why was he always left to be last when he was the one who knew how to do everything? It was always like that. It’d be a lark if he made commander before he turned 18. But before commander would even be within his reach, he had to graduate—and to graduate, he had to defeat Ifrit and learn to control the fiery beast.

He strolled out of the class leaving the Trepies to converse about the blonde they loved so much. They were jealous because their beloved Miss Trepe supposedly had a thing for him, and not them. Weirdoes.

“I'm late, I'm late, I'm LATE!!!”

Squall looked up to see a short brunette crash into him.

“Waaah!” the girl squealed as he stumbled backward and she fell to her knees from the impact.

“Are you ok?” he asked curiously.

The short girl hopped up. “There.” She regained her balance and took a look at him. “Tee-hee, I’m fine.” She smiled, her emerald eyes glimmering in happiness. “Sorry, I was kinda in a hurry.” Her eyes lit up. “Oh yeah! Hey, did you just come from that class?”

He frowned at her unnatural happiness but nodded to answer her question. She was an interesting find.

“Is… homeroom over?”

He nodded again silently.

“Woo… Oh, nooo…” She rubbed her forehead. “This place is soooo much bigger than my last Garden!” The girl cocked her head cutely at him. “Oh, hey, hey. I just transferred here. Do you think you could give me a quick tour of this garden?”

Squall shrugged. “Sure.” He reprimanded his conscience for answering for him.

“Whoo-hoo! Alright, let’s go!” The little brunette jumped up and down giggling.

“We’ll take the elevator to the first floor lobby and I’ll show you the directory.” Squall started off with the girl in tow. He reminded himself to hurry and find Seifer after he showed the little girl around.

“Aren’t you supposed to be taking the prereq?” Seifer asked from his desk as Squall walked through his door.

“You sure know how to plan things.” Squall flopped onto the blonde’s bed. “We’re the talk of the garden.”

“And you know this how?”

“Just because I don’t talk to people doesn’t mean I don’t hear them.”

“True.” Seifer stood and pushed his chair under the desk where it belonged. “I’ll be down at the cafeteria if you want to stop by before you go.”

“I think I’ll just go out there and get it all over with.” Squall lay down and stared at the ceiling and watched as the blonde’s face popped into his view. “I should have gone weeks ago but everyone had all lined up for it before I could. Nobody every notices me.”

“Complaining again?” Seifer asked and sat next to him. “I don’t know why you care about what they think of you. Quisty, Zell and I are all that really matter.”

“I know. I guess I shouldn’t let it get to me.” The brunette sat up and a pair of lips touched his cheek. He smiled. “I guess I’m just nervous about the exam and the whole SeeD ball tonight.”

“You think you’re nervous.” Seifer sighed. “If I fail this year I’ll be the troubled student. And you’ll get to order me around.” He tried to sound apathetic but Squall could tell he was scared. His jade eyes also showed the truth behind his humor.

“I don’t think that’s such a bad arrangement.” Squall smirked, trying to distract Seifer’s uneasiness.

“You wouldn’t.” The blonde grinned and hugged the smaller boy.

“I need you to answer something for me.” The brunette looked down.

“What?”

“Did you worry about me?”

“Like a mother.”

Squall chuckled. “I passed out so I don’t know how I got back.”

“Some Trepies carried you cause they know how much you mean to their leader.” Seifer grinned.

“That’s good.”

“There's something else, isn’t there?”

“Yeah,” Squall began, trying to think of what to say. “I had this dream while I was out. I saw the flower field from behind the orphanage, the one we used to play in. Your voice was telling me you would wait there for me.”

“Yeah, I told you that.” Seifer shrugged nonchalantly. It obviously wasn’t a big thing.

“When?”

“We were playing hide and seek with the others. Zell was ‘it’ and since he could never find us there, I told you to meet me there. ‘You’ll find me there. I promise,’” he quoted himself.

“Oh yeah.” Squall contemplated his reply.

“Well, I wish you luck love.” He pressed his lips upon Squall’s and nuzzled his nose and then stood and donned his coat. “Don’t make Quisty wait too long.”

“Never.” The brunette smirked.

“And don’t make me wait too long.” He winked and left.

Return to Archive | next | previous