Stolen

Chapter 9 - The Enemy Within

By The Wandering Englishman

"It happened so quickly. Having never really met you, it just seemed to come together, you know? When I was with her...it was like the world seemed to stop for me. For us. Her eyes drew you in, and I knew I could never resist her.

"She was...soft. Everything about her was just so perfect. I could lose myself for hours just looking at her. Watching her. That body, that face; her eyes...her lips. Hyne, she was beautiful.

"The day I left, I knew we both cried. I mean, who wouldn’t? But, I had to...to find Elle. She was the innocent among us. There isn’t a day I don’t regret leaving, would you? The most beautiful person in the world is your wife, and you leave her for no reason...could you do it?

"I heard it from Ellone, one night in the palace. I had a son. But I never went back. I never saw you. Not until...well, I don’t think it’s my place to tell you now. You won’t remember anyway.

"But...please forgive me. I have to, just this once. If I never do this again...please, forgive me. It’s wrong, and...you didn’t care then, but...things have changed. I’m so sorry, I had to...one last time."

"’Guna? What are you doing here?"

The greying man looked up; a look of guilt crossing his face, as if he’d been caught with a hand in the cookie jar as he moved away from Squall’s prone form.

Stupid, Laguna...real stupid.

"I was just seeing how he was." He smiled lightly, the beginnings of a cramp already pulling at his calf. "He almost didn’t make it."

"Give one thing to Leonhart, he doesn’t do things half assed. He really wanted to go this time." The blonde looked over the brunette sadly; wishing it hadn’t come to...Seifer shook his head.

"This time?"

"He’s done this at least one time before...though it wasn’t anything an esuna couldn’t fix. He’s lucky to be here. It’s good you found him when you did. "

"Always was the lucky one." Laguna smiled half-heartedly as he stood up, walking past the taller man and leaving the room, Seifer watching as the older man shuffled off.

Taking the sleeping boys’ hand, the blonde sat, brushing the loose bangs from his face, revealing the scarred forehead. The pale face twitched, the brows creasing before clear grey eyes opened into the world.

Light.

No darkness, no rain hitting his face. No pungent smells or piercing screams overloading his senses to the brink of fear. Nothing.Just light. But wait...there was something, on the edge of his hearing.

Laughing.

He blinked a few times, the light in his eyes dimming down enough that he could almost focus on colours other than white; the beige and grey of the now familiar infirmary filling his vision. Shifting his head, the green-eyed blonde soon took place in his line of sight, the chuckling now downgraded to that Hyne-awful smirk.

"’Bout time you came ‘round. Been missing all the fun, Squally-boy."

"...How’d I get here?"

The smirk instantly fell.

"...What’s the last thing you remember?"

Squall’s eyes widened. What he did remember...he didn’t want to.

"...Darkness...then, someone kissing me. "

"Someone...who?"

"...I don’t know."

"Okay...and that’s all, right? Nothing else?"

"No...nothing."

"Then answer me one question." The blonde leaned in.

"What?"

"Why did you do it?"

"Do what?" The younger man asked, genuinely.

Pulling back the sheet, Seifer pointed to the now fading scars on Squall’s stomach, making the brunette look.

The scar was fresh, although he could tell that a healing potion had been used on it. From the width of the cut, he noted a knife had been used, perhaps a switchblade. He could also tell that the wound was deep enough to cause severe blood loss, if left open long enough.

Blood.

Closing his eyes, he could still see the child; the severed head looking at him, staring at him lifelessly. His eyes snapped open again as a hand rested on the scar, tracing the line that marked the otherwise perfect torso. Smiling, he looked up at Seifer, who was already leaning down to claim his lips.

"We’re still no closer."

"Trust me, it’ll come out eventually."

"But, the side effects, he doesn’t seem to have the ones the other test subjects had."

"It has taken effect." The dark haired doctor pulled a mini disc from his pocket, handing it to the solemn female before him. "And the proof is on here...if you know how to find it."

"Sir."

The knock at the door made the blonde girl look up from her paperwork, dropping the pen back on the desk.

"Come in." She ordered, with all the authority she could muster in her position. The greying man walked in, smiling at Quistis as he crossed the room to the seat in front of her.

"You asked to see me?"

"Laguna...was there anyone around when you found Squall?"

The man shook his head, a confused look crossing his face.

"No, why?"

Quistis’ face dropped.

"Because Squall’s wound was not self inflicted. Someone tried to kill him."

Return to Archive | next | previous