Love Bug

Chapter 8

By Purple Penguin

Squall wrinkled his nose watching peanut butter being spread on pancakes.

“What? It’s nice, you want some?”

“No thanks.” He watched the black-haired man put a slice into his mouth.

Lark smiled up at the brunette. Today was a Saturday, his day off he intended to make the most of it. “Are you doing anything today?”

Squall opened his mouth to answer but shut it again remembering that he promised Selphie he would go to the beach with her and the others. “Yeah, a group of us are going down the beach.” He wondered if Selphie would let him off if she knew whom he wanted to spend the day with.

“Oh, that’s okay.” Lark shrugged. “I thought we could do something but there’s always tomorrow right? When are you going?”

“As soon as Selphie gets here.”

A speeding bundle of energy zoomed into the cafeteria and came to a halt at their table. “Hi guys!” She smiled and she looked between the two of them repeatedly. “Well, it’s nice to see you two-here-together.” She grinned causing Squall to give her a warning look.

“Are you ready to go?”

The black-haired man stood up with his now empty plate. “I’d better go then, I’ll see you later yeah?” He said to Squall.

Lark turned to leave but Selphie grabbed his arm. “Wait, why don’t you come with us?”

“Oh I don’t want to intrude.”

“Zell and Irvine both invited other people so it’s only fair if I invite someone too. So you coming? Squall wants you to come, don’t you Squall?” She looked back at the brunette for backup.

“Yeah, come it’ll stop Zell from hitting on me.”

Selphie looked at him in surprise. “He does? Really? But I thought he and Seifer….”

Squall shrugged. “So?”

“Yeah, okay I’d love to go.”

“Great!” Selphie beamed. “We’ll meet you guys by the front gate, Squall why don’t you go help Lark get his stuff, yeah?” She gave him a little shove in the right direction and shooed them on their way.

I lay on my back on the beach watching Selphie try to convince a cowboy to go and collect shells with her. It was obvious she liked him but he just blew her off telling her he would later. Nida glared at me from his place beside the cowboy. He offered him a smile but he turned away from me.

I was surprised when I had been introduced to the group to see him with them. I’ve known Nida my whole life we’ve been friends since…. Forever but we made the mistake of becoming lovers. There were a lot of distractions, rumours so it just didn’t work out. It was better that it was over but I’d lost a dear friend over it. I hoped he would have forgiven me by now.

I was a little scared that he would tell Squall, I really liked and I didn’t want him to think that if we got together I would cheat on him.

My eyes widened when Squall sat up and pulled his t-shirt off over his head, I wasn’t the only one drooling I would have been jealous but Squall was lying in the sand next to me not them. He put the shirt under his head like a pillow.

“What is it? You’re staring at me.”

I smirked. My mother always told me to be honest. “Of course I’m staring at you, you’re hot.”

He blushed and turned away. I nudged. “Hey she looks pretty sad.” Selphie for once seemed quite and deflated. She really liked him didn’t she?

I stood up and pulled Squall up with me. “Come on, we’re going shell collecting with Selphie.”

I watched Selphie walk off with an arm around Squall and an arm around the new guy. Most of us had only met Lark today but he obviously liked Squall, strangely Squall also seemed interested.

Zell narrowed his eyes at the couple his eyes were nearly turning green with jealousy. I knew he liked Squall and it hurt a little to know he was so busy following Squall that he never even noticed me.

“Who is that guy? We don’t know him it’s so unlike Squall to be so trusting. What if he’s being brain-washed?”

I chuckled. “I don’t think it’s likely. You like him huh?”

He blushed. “Maybe a little.”

I smiled at him thinking maybe I could make him feel better. “Do you want to come for a swim with me?”

He hesitated. “I don’t’ know I’m not a very good swimmer.”

I gave him a look. “It’s not like I’m asking you to swim the ocean I only asked if you wanted to come into the water with me, you can paddle if you want.”

“I’m not that bad, okay.” He forced a smile; looking down the beach one more time to see Squall and the other two fade into the distance.

“Forget about Squall.” I gave him a hard shove sending him into the swallow water with a string of curses.

He glared at me, his hair stuck to his head and the water glistened on his skin as he lay in the swallow tide. He looked very cute at the moment.

“You’ll pay for that.”

I smirked and walked backwards into the water, deeper until it came up to my waist. “Is this too deep for you? I guess this’ll be up to your waist by now short-ass.” He always was cute when annoyed.

He flew at me and we splashed into the sea, thrashing about in a tangle of limbs. I yelled barbs and insults at him, he grinned knowing I was only playing. I was glad he had forgotten Squall for a minute and wanted him to have a good time. I poked him in the ribs knowing he was ticklish there. He shrieked at me and yelled something about not being able to swim. Did he really think I’d let him drown? I stopped tickling me and he slumped against me.

“You… bastard.” He muttered.

I chuckled, wrapping my arms around him and held him close to my chest. He tensed suddenly his eyes looked at my chest then slowly trailed upwards to meet my eyes; a pink blush stained his cheeks. He was adorable.

“Um... Seifer?”

“Yeah?”

He squirmed looking very uncomfortable. “I- er- c-could you- let me go now-please.”

I frowned, not being able to hurt a hurt expression as my arms fell from his waist, releasing him. I watched him wade back through the water to the shore.

Had I done something wrong?

I walked up the beach, moving the materials of my trunks to hide my erection that I’d got form being close to Seifer. Could my life get anymore complicated? I walked up the beach and calloused beside Nida and Irvine. The cowboy was shamelessly flirting with the other man who smiled shyly trying to look like he was small and innocent but it was obvious he was enjoying the attention.

Irvine glanced at me as I lay face down in the sand. He sat behind Nida putting sun lotion on his shoulders.

“Are you okay?”

“My life is so confusing.”

“Your life or your love life?”

“My love life.”

The cowboy crossed his legs and sat up facing me. “Tell uncle Irvy the problem.” Nida sat up beside him equally eager to hear what I said. Perfect couple they’re both as nosy as the other.

“No one must now.”

“Sure.”

“Of course.”

“Okay, I like someone-“

“Squall.” Nida put in for me.

“Yeah, he’ll all I think about… till lately but he’s-“

“An asshole?”

“I was going to say cold and anyway now there’s… Seifer… and I don’t think about him as much but just now in the water I got…. you know.”

“Sprung?”

“Yeah.”

Irvine’s eyebrows went up and he grinned like the horny pervert that he is. “That’s great isn’t it?”

“How is that great?”

“Well no offence but you will never get Squall, he’s untouchable and at least Seifer seems interested, has he flirted with you?”

“Maybe- I think so- I don’t know.”

Irvine rolled his eyes.

“What? I’m not very good at this type of thing a-and… at least I’m not a slut!”

“I am not a slut! Why does everyone always think that?”

I shook my head in mock wonder. “I have no idea.”

“Go with Seifer he-” We trailed off as Seifer walked up the beach. He looked at each of us trying to hide the look of hurt I saw in his eyes. He lay down in the sand with his back turned to me.

I gazed up at the sky looking the seagulls circle the beach. I felt Irvine shuffle up to my side, I could feel his breath on my neck, and he sunk his teeth into my skin gently.

“What are you doing?”

“Look.” He gestured with hi head towards where Zell lay on his back asleep and Seifer lay beside him propped up on his elbow. He watched the shorter blonde with a strange non Seifer-like smile on his face. He raised a hand to lightly touch Zell’s bangs, his finger trailed down the blonde’s cheek lovingly.

His head snapped up suddenly staring at us in horror. We both offered him a sad smile.

“You won’t tell him will you?”

I shook my head.

“Of course not.” Irvine whispered.

Seifer nodded and got up to walk down the beach.

Return to Archive | next | previous