Disclaimer: All the characters belong to squaresoft. I own nothing.

Notes:The < > marks mean someone’s thinking. This chapter’s better than the last one.

Longing

Chapter Four

By Purple Penguin

Squall sat on the edge of a grassy cliff overlooking the waterfall.

<Selphie was right, this place was beautiful. >

The sun was shining; there wasn’t a cloud in sight. The atmosphere was quiet and peaceful; the only sound was the rush of the waterfall.

Squall sighed and lay back with his hands behind he’s head. It had been a long day walking and flirting for hours was strenuous stuff.

When they had first arrived an hour ago Selphie had started shouting orders so he knew he had to get away and this was just the place. He hardly got peace and quiet anymore Selphie and Zell didn’t seem to understand the word ‘quiet‘.

An hour earlier.

Everyone was tired they’d been walking for hours and at last they could hear the roar of the waterfall. Selphie smiled happily bouncing from foot to foot as she watched the looks of awe, wonder and appreciation cross everyone’s faces at the sight of the waterfall.

“Well? I told you you’d like it.”

“It's beautiful,” Quistis exclaimed.

“How are we supposed to sleep with all that noise?” Zell asked.

Ellone turned to him. “It’s meant to be soothing.”

“I’ve always wanted to have sex under a waterfall,” Squall casually commented.

Selphie and Ellone were the only ones who looked disgusted; the others nodded in agreement.

“QUISTIS! I thought you were the sensible one.”

“Selphie, I’m a teenage; I’m just mature enough to admit it, unlike you.”

Selphie just shook her head. “Whatever.”

“Guys, you have to set the camp up now, because of your dirty minds.”

“What about Quistis?”

“She doesn’t count. That was a one-off. You guys think about it continually, especially you two.” She pointed at Squall and Irvine.

Irvine just nodded.

“ME?!” Squall practically shouted.

“Yes you. When you were quiet and shy we encouraged you to tell us what you thought about. I wish I didn’t know now! It’s like having two Irvines.

“Now THAT’S harsh. I’m not that bad.”

“Yeah, right. Anyway things to do at least for you.”

“Fuck that.” Squall walked straight past the hyper girl and wandered off.

“Now why didn’t we think of that?” Zell whispered to Seifer who was closest to him.

Squall was interrupted from his thoughts when he heard soft footsteps behind him. He ignored them until a shadow covered him. He opened his eyes to see the devil she standing over him.

“Hey,” she said. “You okay?”

“Yes, Selphie, I’m fine. Did the guys agree to put the tents up?”

“Zell and Irvine moaned about having to do it by themselves, but eventually they did after I sang at them for while. You’ll have to put your own tent up later.

“I thought Seifer was there as well.”

“Can you really see Seifer doing work? Besides he fell asleep, I didn’t have the heart to wake him, not after I woke you all at 5:00 this morning plus he actually managed to look cute. Never thought I’d use that word to describe Seifer.”

Squall sat up as Selphie sat beside him.

“Seifer’s always cute especially when he’s confused or surprised.”

“Hmm, you should know you stare at him enough.” She smiled “Can I ask you a personal question?”

“Name it.”

“Do you love him?”

Silence.

“Squall?”

“I don’t know.” He picked at the grass nervously. “I.... I care about him a lot and there's definitely lust..... But love? I don’t know.” He turned and smiled at her. “I’m not sure how I’m supposed to know when I love someone.”

“You’ll know.”

He grinned. “Do you love Irvine?”

“Nah, we’re not very couply we’re more like best friends who have casual sex. Not like you and Seifer. He adores you. You know that, don’t you?”

Squall scoffed. “I don’t know about that.”

“Oh come on, he worships the ground you walk on. Being female, I know little things. Like the way he looks at you, and for how long he can sit there looking at you.

A blush crept up Squall’s neck into his cheeks.

“You think so?”

“I don’t think I know. Don’t doubt the all-powerful Selphie.”

Squall smiled slightly.

“Where would I be without you Selphie? Thanks.”

She smiled.

“Your welcome, come on let’s go check on the others. See how they’re coping without my guidance.”

Together they walked down the grassy cliff.

Zell danced from foot to foot around the sleeping Seifer.

“Can I wake him? Can I? Please.”

Ellone gave him a small smirk. “Don’t be so cruel, leave him alone.”

“Why should he be lucky enough to escape this nightmare while the rest of us are forced to suffer?”

Zell knelt beside the sleeping form and prepared to shout at him. He took a deep breath just as a hand slapped across his mouth from behind and a gunblade pressed against his throat. He instantly recognized the Griever symbol hanging from the handle.

Squall yanked Zell up by the shoulders giving him a disapproving look and pushed him out of the way.

Zell tutted. “Should have known you’d protect your boyfriend and spoil my fun.” He sat down on a boulder beside Irvine.

Selphie looked disgusted. “What’s up with you Zell? Why do you have to come off as such a homophobe? You're just jealous because you can’t get laid.” She looked up startled as Zell burst into hysterics.

“ME?! A homophobe? That’s a new one. Let me ask you, Selphie, how many girls have you seen me with?”

She frowned thoughtfully. Now that she thought about it she had never seen Zell with a girl since Crystal who worked in the library and she dumped him because he spent more time with his friends than with her.

“You mean you’re gay?!” She could hardly believe it, she had always expected Seifer was gay probably because of the way he looked at Squall, but Zell?!

“But you seemed disgusted when we saw Squall and Seifer flirting with each other.”

“No, that was because they’re so... obvious. I’ve hid it for four years from everyone.”

Irvine coughed loudly.

“...Except Irvine,” he added quickly.

Squall smirked. “So you’re a faggot after all the shit you gave us.”

“Who’s a faggot?” Seifer asked groggily still trying to wake up.

“Zell.”

“...And proud of it.”

Seifer made the gay pride signal in Zell’s direction.

“Damn straight.”

“Not in your case.” Irvine muttered.

Squall sniggered.

Zell glared at him. “What are you laughing at? You’re gay too.”

“No I’m bi.”

Seifer sat up. “Well this is all very fascinating, but I’m gonna go set up my tent so I can get some sleep.”

“I’ll help ya.” Squall said following.

“Yeah, I bet you will,” Zell called after them. “You’ll probably help him undress as well.”

 

Squall dug all the equipment out of the duffel bag spreading it across the grass. Unfortunately Selphie had only supplied them with horrible old-fashioned tents that only consisted of wooden pegs, a brown canvas and a black waterproof sheet for the floor.

He sat back on his heels. “Have you ever put one of these things together before?” he asked Seifer.

“No.”

“Me either, but I’ve seen it in old movies so it can’t be all that hard.” He grabbed a handful of pegs and disappeared under the canvas.

An hour later and Squall was still trying to get it to even stand up and after getting laughed at by Seifer for nine failed attempts he threw the pegs at the ground and walked off in a huff.

Seifer smirked. He had got the tent standing in the right shape and everything in his first attempt and he was deeply proud. He was laying on his sleeping bag when Squall came in looking astounded.

“How the HELL did you do this? I thought you’d never put up a tent before.”

“I haven’t. It was just natural ability cause ya know I’m the best.” He smiled as Squall checked for floors around the pegs and the seams.

Finally Squall settled on his sleeping bag laying back.

“Seifer, can I ask you a personal question?”

“Yeah, what is it?”

Squall hesitated. “Have you ever been in love?”

Seifer was shocked by the question.

“Yeah, once. Why?”

“Was it with Rinoa?”

“No, I’m gay remember. Did you love her?”

“I don’t think I’ve ever been in love before... I wanted to know. How do you tell? How did you tell?”

“I think it’s different for each person.... It’s like you see them in a different light, ya know, and everything they do is flawless. They can’t do a thing wrong in your eyes. For me... I would die for him, I know that.” He smiled sadly.

“You still love him?”

“Yes.”

“I love you, too, Seifer.”

“Huh.... WHAT!” Seifer sat bolt upright.

Squall also sat up. “I’m not stupid; or rather Selphie’s not stupid, she told me.”

Seifer was absolutely speechless and was even more so when Squall leaned over and gently pressed his lips to Seifer’s.

Having got over the shock Seifer eagerly opened his mouth to Squall.

Squall pulled back after a while. “How long?”

“Huh.”

“How long have you been in love with me?”

Seifer smiled. “Since we were kids in matron’s orphanage. Why’d you think I picked on you so much?”

They kissed again and Squall pushed at Seifer’s shoulders so they were lying down with him on top.

Just then Selphie barged in.

“Hey guys I just...” she trailed off seeing the position they were in. “Never mind, it’s not important.

Selphie skipped back to the main group grinning from ear-to-ear.

“They’re not coming.” She told Quistis.

“Why not?”

“Let’s just say Seifer’s not going to get a lot of sleep.”

Quistis raised her eyebrows. “You didn’t catch them going at it did you?”

“No of course not. They were just kissing but you know what Squall’s like.” She sat down with a sigh. “Ahh one happy couple, who else can I pair up? I need a new project.”

With that in mind she headed off to find the guys.

Return to Archive | next | previous