Disclaimer: Squaresoft owns all the characters. I don’t own anything.

Knowing Innocence

(Working title)

Chapter 5

By Purple Penguin

I marched angrily to the Editor’s office the next morning. She works fast; I’ll give her that. In one night she had finished her paper and published it. Every dorm in the building had a copy. I was going to kill those girls, I’d been through all the possible ways thinking of the most painful. Instead of the story being in the cutest couple section like she had said, it was front-page news. The picture of Zell lying on my chest was blown up as that it took up half the page. All morning girls have been knocking on my door saying how happy they are for us and Yaoi lovers broke into our dorm to see if we really were sleeping together. Unfortunately at the time Zell was hiding under my bed, it didn’t discourage them in the slightest.

I arrived outside her office. I was surprised to see Squall already standing there. He had his arms folded, his eyes narrowed and he looked mean.

What else had she done?

I hadn’t bothered to read the rest of the paper; I was too shocked by the front cover.

I stood beside him also folding my arms. He looked at me out of the corner of his eyes.

“I wondered when you would show up. So is it true?”

I was a little shocked. He was the only one who had bothered to ask everyone else had just assumed it was true.

“No it’s not true.”

He just nodded.

“Why are you here?”

He turned to look at me with a homicidal look in his eyes. He opened the paper on the cutest couple page and handed it to me.

I had to smirk. There was a picture far worse than the one of Zell and me. A brown haired guy, whom I’m guessing was Nida, had his tongue down Squall’s throat. They had their hands all over each other and they looked like they were about ready to jump into bed with each other.

“Who took the picture?”

“Dunno, we didn’t notice.”

“Yeah, you look a little busy.” I smirked.

He glared and snatched the paper away from me.

“At least you two are really together unlike Zell and me.”

Squall just frowned staring at the floor. He was a private person he didn’t like everyone knowing his business. “Girls have offered me 50 Gill if they can watch Nida and me kissing.”

I chuckled.

When the office door opened we both went into mean mode, but our path was blocked by a tall, dark-skinned burly man.

“Raijin?! What are you doing here?!”

“I’m a bodyguard ya know. Selphie makes a lot of enemies in this business ya know.”

“We need to get in there!” Squall demanded.

“Sorry, no can do ya know.”

“What do you want?” Selphie’s voice floated past Raijin.

“I told you not to post anything about Zell and me.”

“I didn’t make anything up; I only wrote what I was told. My witnesses were very willing to tell me the details. If you want someone to blame then blame Quistis and that other girl.”

I turned and walked off in a huff.

“And what do you want?” I heard her ask Squall as I left.

I walked down the dorm corridor, stopping at each folded newspaper and ripping the front cover off all of them. I was about to enter my dorm when I realized the door was ajar and I could hear voices. Carefully I peered into the room. Quistis sat me the arm of the sofa and Zell sat beside her, holding a cushion, Xu stood by the door.

“What’s bothering you Zell? I have to know. It’ll be good for you to tell someone.”

He looked up at Xu, uncomfortable with talking in front of her.

“Oh, I’ll leave you guys to it.” She walked towards the door and towards me.

Damn it! She would give me away to the others. I knew spying on Zell was wrong but he wouldn’t talk to me, so this was the only way.

Xu walked out the door and looked in my direction, her eyes went wide and she opened her mouth to call Quistis. Quickly I slapped a hand over her mouth and pulled her against me, pinning her arms to her sides. She glared at me.

“Shh.” I whispered.

I heard Quistis say the end of a sentence. “...That difficult can it?”

“You were fine a few days ago. What triggered the strange behaviour?”

Zell squirmed in his seat, remaining silent.

“Okay, let’s try another question. How o you feel about Seifer?”

Zell straight bolt upright. “What the hell is that supposed to mean?!”

“Do you get on okay with him?”

“I guess.”

She moved her head down to try and look him into the eyes. “You can tell me, you know. I’m not about to run off and tell Seifer what you said now am I?”

He looked up finally. “I know.”

“Well...” She prompted.

“Okay, but if you do tell anyone I will kill you.”

She nodded.

“Well... Um...Er....It’s....”

Quistis rolled her eyes. Maybe more questions would be quicker.

“Is it Seifer?”

He nodded.

“Don’t you like him?”

“Oh I do, that’s the problem.”

She looked puzzled.

Zell went a very funny colour. “Do you know how hard it is to be friendly with someone when...? When....” He leaned in close to whisper the last bit, but I still heard him.

“When you’re having sex dreams about them.”

I wasn’t expecting that. That explained why he jumped out of bed that time. Unconsciously I let go of Xu. She smirked at me, loving the shocked reaction.

I pushed off the wall.

“Don’t you want to see if hey say anything else?” Xu bobbed at my heels excitedly, close to bursting into giggles.

I walked right past her towards the cafeteria. She was instantly beside me, smiling insanely.

“What’s with the Selphie impression?” I asked, not even looking at her.

“Well?” She prompted.

“What?”

She sighed exasperatedly. “Seifer, you’re acting like this isn’t a big deal. This is great!”

“How is this great? I can’t tell Zell I know or he’ll know I was spying on him.”

“But you don’t have to hide your feelings for him because you know it’s mural.”

“I don’t know how I feel about Zell yet.”

She rolled her eyes. “Oh please, you practically drool all over him. Besides he’s cute, how can you not fancy him?”

I gave her a look.

“Okay, maybe I’m not the best judge with the whole Lesbian thing and all.”

We entered the cafeteria together. We both brought a coffee and sat at a free table.

“Just tell him how you feel.”

“It’s not that simple.”

“Why not?”

“What would you do if you found out that Quistis wanted you but you weren’t supposed to know?”

“I’d tie her to my bed and have my way with her.”

I raised an eyebrow questioningly at her.

“Okay, fine I wouldn’t but I would be tempted.” She sighed. “Why are you going to do then?”

“Nothing.”

She stared at me like she thought I had gone crazy.

“There’s nothing I can do.”

She slumped in her chair staring at me to try and get me to change my mind.

Notes: Notes: Next chapter will be a one-off Nida/Squall chapter.

Return to Archive | next | previous