Disclaimer: Squaresoft owns all the characters. I don’t own anything.

Knowing Innocence

(Working title)

Chapter 2

By Purple Penguin

I awoke slowly, strangely my alarm wasn’t screaming at me, I leaned over to look at the time. The red dial read: 8.50.

“Fuck!”

I was supposed to go get my roommate at 9.00. I launched myself out of bed, grabbing a bunch of clothes and throwing them on. No time for a shower, I absolutely stunk but I’m only going to get my roommate, probably some annoying, spotty kid.

I stood and grabbed my trench coat, just as I realized I hadn’t put on any clean boxers, I was still wearing my night pair. Oh well, no one will no. I ran out of the door whilst trying to pull on my trench coat. My watch read 8.58, I broke into a sprint.

My shirt wasn’t tucked in and the buttons were done up wrong, I hadn’t brushed my hair so it stood up in all directions, I hadn’t brushed my teeth and to top it all off, my laces were undone so I tripped and ploughed straight into the skirting board. Blood trickled from the small cut in my forehead; I absently brushed it away with my fingers.

The commander’s office was full of people when I arrived. A notice board stood in the middle of the room, I stepped up to it to search for my name. My roommate’s name was Zell Dincht, number 817. All the new kids had their number on badges. I walked through the crowd searching for my number; I wasn’t looking where I was going. I walked straight into someone tall and hard. I looked up to see Ward give me a disapproving look. His expression turned into one of amusement as he cast his eyes over my appearance.

“I got up late.” I said in my defence.

He grinned; he would love to see me make a fool out of myself. I glared at him and continued my search.

“What the hell happened to you?”

I stopped to see Kiros raise an eyebrow quizzically at me.

“I didn’t have time to get dressed properly this morning.”

“Not a very good example is it?”

I glared at him. “It’s not like I did it on purpose. On the bright side, you get to watch me make an idiot of myself.” I was right there. I did realize at the time that that was the biggest understatement ever.

I turned back to see the correct number on someone in front of me. Good now I can get out of- I stopped in mid thought.

The boy was fair skinned with very light, fluffy blonde hair; his eyes were bright blue. He saw me and smiled slightly. He had the most perfect, cute little smile. He was beautiful. I just stared at him, my mouth hanging open, I hope I wasn’t drooling.

“Are you my roommate?” He asked.

At that moment I forgot how to use my vocal cords. He sounded hesitate almost shy, it wasn’t that noticeable but my entire self was focused on him.

“Y-Yes.” I managed.

He smiled that beautiful smile again. “Hi, I’m Zell.” He held out his hand to me.

Hesitantly I took it. “S-Seifer.” I was suddenly very self-conscious and I tried to subtly tuck my shirt in.

He noticed the state I was in. I was surprised he hadn’t noticed early.

“Rough night?”

“I got up late, alarm didn’t go off.”

He nodded.

I looked at my watch. “I’ve only been up 15 minutes.”

He chuckled.

I felt like such an idiot, he didn’t have a hair out of place while I was such a mess.

“Ow, that must have hurt.”

Before I could ask what he meant, he stepped close and gently touched the small cut on my forehead. I winced slightly.

“Sorry.” He pulled his hand away. He was so friendly, so innocent not the type you usually find here.

“How’d you do that?”

I grimaced. “Don’t laugh. I forgot to tie my laces this morning and I tripped up in the corridor.”

He smiled.

I decided being honest was best, he didn’t seem to mind or think I was an idiot.

“C-Come on I’ll show you around.” I turned towards the door and he fell into step beside me. I cast a smirk at Ward as I passed him. I paused at the door, scanning the room for Xu; I wanted to see this girl she was so excited about.

“Who you looking for?”

I turned back to Zell. “Just a friend,” I waved a hand dismissively. “doesn’t matter, let’s go.”

I walked at my usual pace. My long legs took far bigger strides than he did with his short legs. He struggled to keep up, jogging along side me.

“So this friend, why aren’t you sharing with him?”

“Her.” I corrected. “Guys aren’t allowed to share with girls.”

“Oh, she your girlfriend?”

I smiled at him. “No, we’re both gay.”

“Ah.” He nodded and smiled. “Good.”

I raised an eyebrow at him.

His eyes went wide when he realized what he had said. “I-I mean.... I didn’t mean that, not that it’s a bad thing just not good b-but I not against it or anything.....”

He continued to ramble for at least 4 minutes, trying to fix the hole he had gotten himself into. I didn’t mind, it was quite cute but I thought I should put he out of his misery. “Whoa, calm down.” I rested my hands on his shoulders to stop his panicking.

He stopped in mid sentence, looking sheepish. “Sorry ‘bout the psycho babble, I do that a lot.”

I led him into the large padded hall we have for hand-to-hand fighters. He told me he was into martial arts, I guess that explained the strong muscles in his arms.

I had to suppress a laugh though, I pictured him having to fight someone even taller then me, he’d barely reach chest height. I wasn’t mocking him not really, or at least I didn’t mean to.

He saw my slight smile. “What? I’m good at it!”

“Never said you weren’t.”

He narrowed his eyes at me. “I could take you.”

I faced him. “Is that a threat?” I kept my expression friendly, the last thing I wanted was to make this guy an enemy, he’s too cute for that.

“What weapon do you use?”

“Gunblade.”

“Oh.” His determined look faltered slightly. “No weapons, I could take you.”

“I don’t doubt it.”

I left the building and he followed me. “Maybe later you’ll get to prove it.”

He smiled.

We crossed the main courtyard and I explained what this place was used for and about some of the other buildings in the area.

“So why are you here? Do your parents throw you out too?”

I frowned at the word. ‘Too’ his parents threw him out? How could he be so cheerful?

“No, I never had parents. I’ve been here since I left the orphanage at ten.”

“You weren’t adopted.”

“Nah, nobody wanted me.”

“That’s sad.” He gave me a sad smile.

“I’m used to it. Come on I’ll take you to the cafeteria.”

The place was busy as usual. “There’s usually good food here and there are always chips and hotdogs.”

“They have hotdogs?” He said, excitement showing in his eyes.

“Yeah.”

“Oh I love hotdogs! I hold the record in my town for the fastest time eating a hotdog!” He was bouncing on his heels with excitement.

I smiled. “That’s quite an achievement.”

He grinned. “I can fit a whole hotdog in my mouth!”

I instantly dropped the smile, trying to stop all the naughty images that were going through my mind. “R-Right.” I turned away from him and saw Xu sitting at a table with a blonde girl. Good that’ll get my mind off Zell for at least 5 seconds.

“Zell, come I’ll introduce you to a friend.”

I walked up and tapped her on the shoulder, wondering if she’d mind me interrupting her talk with this blonde.

She looked over and smiled when she recognized me. “Seifer,” She glanced back at the blonde. “This is Quistis.”

I shook hands with her and she smiled.

“This is Zell.” I pointed to the short, blonde.

“Is this the friend you mentioned earlier?”

I nodded.

The blonde girl turned to Zell.

“Zell, haven’t seen you since school.”

“Quistis!”

“Small world isn’t it?”

“How do you two know each other?”

“Same class at school for 4 years.”

Zell and I sat down at their table.

“Guess who else I’ve seen.” Quistis grinned evilly.

Zell winced. “NO! Please don’t tell me she’s here.”

“Yep.”

“I came here to get away from her.”

“She’s not that bad.”

“When I refused to help with the Easter festival, she waited until I was in the shower than she took all my clothes and hung them on a tree in the middle of the sport’s field.”

I chuckled. I definitely wanted to meet this girl, maybe she’ll do it again and I can see Zell naked. And that was the most pathetic thought I’ve ever had.

“Who is she?”

“Selphie Tilmitt a short, annoying, festival loving girl.”

“Even shorter than you? Is that possible?”

He glared at me; he’s cute when he’s angry.

“Only annoying to him, I think she’s funny.”

I shot Xu a look knowing she was thinking this girl might be competition for Quistis’s affection.

“Excuse me.” We all turned to see a messenger standing beside Zell.

“Mr. Dincht, your belongings have arrived please collect them from the commander’s office.”

“Right.” The blonde got up and was about to shoot off when he realized he didn’t know the way. “Seifer, could you show me where to go?”

Quistis rolled her eyes. “Zell you were just there.”

“I know but that doesn’t mean I know the way back.”

“He gets lost in his own house.” She whispered.

“I do not!”

I chuckled, getting up. “Fine, let’s go.”

Return to Archive | next | previous