Author’s notes: Sequel to ‘I will always love you’. From Zell’s pov.

Disclaimer: Characters are not mine and neither is the game if it was then Rinoa would have died in the game.

Happy Endings

By Purple Penguin

This is pointless, we’re wasting time here and I have serious brooding to do.

I looked up at the statues of the Centra ruins, there were SeeDs scattered around this place. Someone reported something strange here, other than the monsters.

How can anything survive in a place like this?

It’s scorching hot during the day, hot at day slightly cooler than the day, it’s dirty, dusty and the only source of water is a muddy stream. I know Squall was hoping for another G.F. as both Odin and the Tonberry King came from here, but there are no magic energy signatures. This place is deserted.

I continue on my way up to Odin’s chamber, all the others are around the other side of the main tower. I know my way around because I came with Squall and Irvine to get Odin. The heavy door of Odin’s chamber is hard to open; I put my whole weight in to it and push as hard as I can. The door scrapes open over the stone floor just enough for me to squeeze myself through.

The room is a big circle, everything echoes in here.

It’s so dark I can’t even see my own feet, I reach for the torch I brought. I shone the beam around the room quickly. Odin’s chair is gone. The place looked so empty, I walked farther into the shadows.

I stopped dead, listening. I swear I heard something then, a shuffling noise, maybe its just rats or maybe a Tonberry got shut in here. I shone the torch around for signs of danger and walked forward. My foot hit something metallic and I fell to the ground.

"Shit," I muttered as I got up.

I turned to grab my torch and froze. The beam of light shone over the metal object, it was a gunblade. I recognized it instantly; the silver metal with the fire cross engraved on it.

"Hyperion."

I reached for it, drawing it close to me. I shone the torch over the clean, shining metal.

"What are you doing here?" I asked the gunblade. Seifer always spoke to this thing, I guess I picked up his habit.

He treasured Hyperion, he wouldn’t abandon it. Either Seifer was here or his body was.

I shuddered at the thought. I stroked the hilt of the gunblade, if Seifer was dead then it was my responsibility to look after it.

A sound reached my ears; it sounded like laboured breathing. It was him, I knew it, it had to be.

"Seifer?" I asked the darkness.

More laboured breathing and shuffling, like he was trying to get away but couldn’t. I franticly shone the torch on the floor and dark corners. I walked towards the sound, listening carefully. I walked into the darkest corner and shone the beam down on a figure.

He sat hunched, his knees drawn to his chest, he was shaking, his pale skin glowed in the torchlight. His hair was dirty blonde and hung just past his shoulders. He was so thin; he looked like a skeleton.

"Seifer?"

He flinched away from the light, trying to press himself into the wall. I felt a tight lump in my throat, I thought if I tried to swallow it I’d choke.

He looked up at me, his eyes unfocused and glazed over. I waited patiently for him to say something.

"Leave me alone." His voice was shaky and he coughed huskily like he hadn’t used his voice in a long time.

"What do you want?" He asked gruffly. He sounded like an old man not 21 year old.

His eyes moved to Hyperion. "If you want her, take her. I won’t be needing her anymore."

I frowned. What did that mean? Then I remembered the door had been tightly closed to stop anyone getting in or out. He had come here to die.

"Hyperion," I whispered.

He frowned at me. "How did you know? Who are you?"

The torchlight was dim and only lit him and the gunblade. I was not visible in the beam. I crotched down beside him, he flinched as our arms touched. He kept his eyes down, as if afraid of me.

I stood the torch up between us so that light shone on both of us.

"Don’t worry, I won’t hurt you."

Gingerly he looked up at me. He froze as our eyes met. I could see the recognition in his eyes.

I smiled at him. "Hi, sweetie."

He stared in shock, his mouth moved but no words came out.

"It’s me, Zell."

He didn’t reply instead a hand gingerly reached out and his fingers brushed my tattoo. I didn’t move, not wanting to scare him off.

"W-What are you doing here?" His eyes searched mine, what for? I don’t know.

"SeeD mission."

"You went back... Good, you’re happy." He wasn’t really talking to me, more to himself to confirm his thoughts.

"No, I’m not."

He looked at me with concern, I could see he still loved me, I smiled, I couldn’t help it.

I brushed the hair from his eyes. "You made me happy. Without you... You have no idea how lonely I was without you."

He looked around his little prison again. "I’m glad I got to see you again."

He made it sound like I was going away again. There was no way I would EVER leave him again. I’d made up my mind, he was coming with me to Balamb whether he liked it or not.

"We can be together again."

"No, I can’t leave."

"Yes, you can. Everyone’s forgotten about the war, nobody blames you. They all miss you."

"It’s gone too far, please let me die."

He looked so sad that I pulled him to me, holding him. He clung to me as a way of goodbye.

"Zell We’ve got to-"

I looked around to see Squall look into the room. Seifer started to panic, his wheezing increased speed and volume, his eyes went wide and he held me tighter, hoping he would be safe with me.

I slowly released my hold on him.

"Don’t leave me!"

I smiled; he had changed his mind. Maybe now he would come with us.

Squall met my eyes and slowly he moved to help me support Seifer. We took him to the boat. He was hesitant at first but the other SeeDs were kind, many smiled at him, after they got over their shock at his appearance.

Now Seifer’s been back a week, I’m happy, he’s happy. He’s one of the gang again. He’s been accepted.

He makes a fuss when we all try to force him to eat lots, he's still really thin but he’ll get there. The important thing is he’s here and that’s all the matters.

Return to Archive