Disclaimer: All places, characters are not mine, nothing here is mine, everything belongs to Squaresoft.

Double Take

Chapter 6

By Purple Penguin

The brunette sat in the interview room, staring at the wooden table. He didn’t understand, was everyone mad? Why were they acting like this? Seifer wasn’t allowed to sit with him, he had to wait outside, his lover had promised he would stay there until he was allowed out.

“Listen kid, things will be a lot easier for you if you just tell the truth.”

“What’s going on? I don’t understand.”

“Who are you? Who are you working for? Why did you want us to think you were Commander Leonhart?”

“I am Squall Leonhart, but I’m not the commander, Seifer’s the commander. Shouldn’t you know this? I don’t know what you meant when you said who am I working for.”

“You are NOT Squall; he’s in Winhill!”

“What?!” Squall looked away from the guard, not knowing what to say. What do you say to someone who keeps saying you’re not who you are? It was like a science fiction film with clones or robots.

The other man sighed. “Look, I’m trying to help you, there are some people who want to see you locked up for impersonating the commander, but I don’t think you meant any harm.” The man cocked his head at the brunette. “What happened? Was it just a joke that went wrong?”

“I don’t know what you mean? Why did you say I was in Winhill?”

The guard but his lip and chose to ignore that question. “Before you got to garden when were you and how did you get here?”

Squall winced. This guy already thought he was mad and it would only get worse.

“I was on a SeeD mission to the island closest to hell, Galbadia hired us.”

“Galbadia hired Balamb SeeDs? But they hate us.”

“Galbadia are our allies against Esthar, how can you say they hate us? Just because Trabia switched sides doesn’t mean that they will!”

The guard raised a worried eyebrow at the young brunette. “Kid, who told you all this stuff?”

“I’m second in command in garden, I just know.”

“Second to Seifer?”

Squall nodded.

The guard rubbed his forehead. “I know for a fact that you are NOT Squall, Eathar are our allies and President Loire is a friend to garden.”

“Who?”

“The commander’s father.”

Squall’s mouth fell open in shock.

“Laguna Loire is Squall Leonhart’s father.”

The brunette opened and closed his mouth like a goldfish. Now he was really confused. His mother had told him his father’s name and shown him pictures, but he died years ago.

The guard stood and opened the door. “Come on, you’ll have to stay in a cell over night, the doctor will find out who you are from your DNA and you’ll be tested for mental illness tomorrow.”

Seifer stood instantly as Squall came through the door, the guard explained to him what would happen.

“He’s not dangerous; can’t he stay with me? I’ll guard him.”

“It’s for his own safety; some people may be hostile towards him.”

The blonde nodded sadly. He took the brunette into his arms and followed the guard to where Squall was to be held. The shorter man held his lover tightly; he still didn’t know why any of this was happening. No one believed him, even Seifer wasn’t too sure at first and he didn’t know how they didn’t believe him. It was so much like a dream, that would explain why he suddenly appeared outside Balamb when he fell from a cliff. He should be dead. Maybe he was dead, but was this heaven or hell?

Squall looked up when they stopped outside a small room with a bed and a sink; it was quiet dark as there was only one small window and one orange bulb.

Heifer stroked the back of Squall’s hair comfortingly.

“Can I stay with him for just a little while?”

The guard hesitated.

Seifer tapped the hilt of Hyperion to reassure him. “He won’t hurt me and I can look after myself.”

The guard reluctantly stepped out of the way. “If you need me I’ll be right outside.”

The brunette sat on the bad staring at his feet. “Are you okay?”

“Why don’t they know who I am? Why don’t they believe me? Why am I in here?”

Seifer sat beside his ex-lover or boyfriend or... he wasn’t quite sure what Squall was to him.

“That’s difficult to explain.”

“Tell me.”

“They don’t think you’re Squall Leonhart because we saw him leave for Winhill and he’s still there now, we called Zell and asked him.”

“Do you believe me?” The brunette looked fearfully up at his lover.

Seifer sighed, sitting sideways on to the brunette, wrapping an arm around his waist. “I don’t know.”

Squall dropped his eyes down to his lap sadly. “I don’t know what’s going on. How do you know this other guy isn’t the impostor?”

“You got all the facts wrong and you don’t have a scar.” Seifer traced the flawless skin between Squall’s eyes.

“Your Squall has a scar like you do?”

“Yes.”

“And he’s the commander right?”

“Yes.”

Squall leaned on the taller, stronger man. “So all the things Selphie said were true?”

“Yes.”

“Well if you’re not with your Squall, why do you love him?”

Seifer sighed and nuzzled his face into the other man’s hair. “I was with him once, but I blew it.”

“And you never stopped loving him?”

“No.”

Squall kissed the scar. “But I’m Squall Leonhart and I love you.”

The blonde drew back for a second just far enough to look the other man in the eyes.

“If you don’t believe me the DNA tests will prove me right tomorrow.”

Seifer held the brunette close to his chest. “I want to believe you but-”

“I always heard there another person who was the same as you in the world; I never believed that until today.”

Seifer chuckled sadly. “So there’s this other me is there?” He asked sceptically.

The brunette tightened his hold on the blonde. He remembered his Seifer sacrificing himself to save him, he was dead. If this guy who was here with him now wasn’t his lover then his Seifer was dead and he was alone.

“What is it?” The blonde felt wetness on his neck. He pulled the other man back to see his tears.

“What? Are you okay?”

“He’s dead.”

“Who?”

“You, the other you. He saved my life.”

Seifer wiped away the brunette’s tears. “Don’t cry.” He gingerly hugged Squall, not knowing what else to do.

“I’m alone, you don’t love you.”

“You’re not alone and I do love you.”

“No, you love scared Squall.”

Seifer looked the other man in the eyes, moving so that their faces were only inches apart.

“You aren’t like him; he doesn’t show his emotions like you do.” He chuckled. “If Squall Leonhart laughed the whole garden would expect the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse to ride into garden.”

“Why?”

“You weren’t ever in an orphanage were you?”

“No.”

“You’re just different, you’re what I wished Squall could be like, of course it never happened. I do love you, not the other Squall, you.”

They kissed tenderly just as the guard opened the door. “Time’s up, sorry.”

Seifer reluctantly stood up. “It’s be okay.” He whispered.

He followed the guard out of the cell without looking back.

Return to Archive | next | previous