DISCLAIMER: I do not own Squall or Seifer. I had a pair of muses but they kind of wandered off…. ^-^’

Author's Notes: The others characters and ALL song lyrics found within this fic are MINE. Please do not steal without permission.

This story takes place a few years after the game takes place. I don’t really elaborate on what happened to the other characters. It doesn’t really have anything to do with the story itself. I don’t really spend a lot of time on the other characters because they aren’t completely relative to the story.

All but one section is written in Seifer’s POV. The POV change is listed so don’t worry about being confuzzeled. :D

This was written for a contest on a SxS mailing list. Please read and review :D Feel Free to e-mail me comments at Sodoshiin @ hotmail.com

Thanks to Elise Maxwell and WolfPilot06 for being meh betas!

Darkness Falls

Epilogue

By Sodoshiin

Seifer

 

It took me a few days to gather the courage to walk into his room.

For the longest time all I did was sit…

Then I wandered….as if I’d never been there before.

It was time to leave the hotel….but all of us were reluctant to touch any of Squall’s things…We weren’t sure what to take, what to leave, what to throw away.

I would have kept all of it…

His guitar case still lay on his bed, open, waiting to be used.

I stared at it for an eternity, as if it dared me to play it, to move it in any way.

And I did, but not to play.

To see what I knew was huddled underneath it.

Squall’s book.

The book we weren’t allowed to touch.

The thoughts were weren’t allowed to read.

It sat at the bottom of the guitar case until I gathered enough courage to pick it up. I held it in my hands, just looked at it. Contemplating.

He’d held it in his hands only days before. I pretended, that if I concentrated, I could still feel the warmth his hands had left on it. That if I waited long enough, he would walk in and yell at me for going through his private things.

But I knew he wouldn’t.

There was nothing left to lose.

So I opened it.

For a moment I could just sit there….

They were the songs he’d written…the one’s he never wanted us to see….

It felt almost like sacrilege to read them now….

But they were a part of him…and for a second, I needed them…

Some of them were so beautiful I could understand why he’d never publish them. They were his. And now they were mine.

I read the entire book through until I came to a sheet of loose leaf paper, merely folded and pressed in between two pages in the book that were blank.

I know the dance of life and death

I’ve seen the angels draw last breath

I got out to see the sunrise

Then go home

I walk between the sands of time

I’ve claimed the sky the stars are mine

The rain the moon all but bowed

Before me

Darkness falls

From breath so still

Free the baffled angels

Don’t cry

(Good night)

He walked upon the white hot sand

He held the whole world in his hand

He rose and fell with time and tides

Before me

See upon his back he lies

Don’t let him close those searching eyes

I love and was loved

For a time

Darkness falls

From breath so still

Free the baffled angels

Don’t cry

(Good night)

Your shadow follows far behind you

The light is stretching far to find you

Who is there to walk beside you

I am the hurt, I am the pain

I’ll take the silence, I’ve earned the blame

A cloudless sky can give no rain

Darkness falls

From breath so still

Free the baffled angels

Don’t cry

Good night

I know the dance of life and death

I’ve seen the angels draw last breath

I got out to see the sunrise

Then go home…

I stared at the page for what seemed like forever.

I wondered if it was me he compared himself to….and wondered why…how he could have seen me in such light…

“I love you too…” I whispered, wiping away the droplets that had begun to soak the paper. I slid it back into it’s place within the book, then placed the book back into the guitar case.

Standing, I picked up the case and walked from the room, shutting the door behind me.

~Owari~

Return to Archive | previous